A listing of some of the funding sources available to students from and in Illinois. If we missed your organization, and you would like to be included, please contact us.
- The Illinois Water Environment Association awards two annual $1,000.00 scholarships to students preparing for careers in the water sector. Applications are due November 1, 2013 until January 31, 2014. Scholarships are awarded at the IWEA meetings in March. Full information can be found on IWEA’s website.
- The Illinois Section of the American Water Works Association provides a variety of scholarships, including undergraduate, adult continuing education, and high school enrichment. While the 2014 scholarships are not yet open, the application deadline is usually January 31. Complete information can be found here.
- The Illinois Groundwater Association provides small research grants on a biannual basis to both graduate and undergraduate students attending a college or university in Illinois. Research must address topics relevant to Illinois groundwater.
- The Association of Illinois Soil and Water Conservation Districts provides a $500 award to agriculture students enrolled in an Illinois state college. Applications are due in May and awarded for the fall semester.
- The Illinois Lakes Management Association offers an Undergraduate/Graduate scholarship of $1,000 for students enrolled in an Illinois college or Illinois residents attending college in Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio, or Wisconsin and studying lake or watershed related topics. They also provide the Robert Esser Student Achievement Scholarship for $500, which is offered to Illinois residents attending Illinois colleges. Both applications are due December 31. Full information about both scholarships is available here.
National or International:
- The Society of Wetland Scientists provides student research grants of up to $1,000 to both undergraduate and graduate members of the organization. Applications are due in February and awarded at the annual meetings. Application packages require a proposal, budget, curriculum vitae, and two letters of recommendation.
- Pathfinder Fellowships from the Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc. (CUAHSI) provide up to $5,000.00 to graduate students for travel for multisite or multidisciplinary water science research. The application period opens August of 2013 and closes in October.
- The Ivanhoe Foundation provides small fellowships to Masters students from developing countries conducting water related research in the United States. Applications include a description of the projects and a nomination letter from the student’s professor.
- The American Water Works Association provides information about a myriad of (mostly) graduate level scholarships. Deadlines vary, but for those of you interested in drinking water or water supply, make sure you take a good look at their Scholarship page.
- The American Water Resources Association makes two $2,000 scholarships to one graduate and one undergraduate student member of AWRA. Applications are due in April. Awards are based on academic performance, research, and water-related extra-curricular activities.